Thursday 4 April 2013

Finding a Publisher

Sooooo we have written a children's story and I say we because our little four year old gave me the idea for the book, anyway, so now I am trying to find a publisher and I thought it would be kind of like I write the story, I draw a few illustrations, I print it and post it off to various publishers, I hear back from one of them with an offer and Bob's your Uncle! Right! So where do I start? By Google of course. So I google AUTHOR SEEKING PUBLISHER'. and got lotsa stuff there but nothing concrete for me so then I google PUBLISHER SEEKING AUTHOR'. Doesn't get me anywhere fast. So now I try CHILDREN'S PUBLISHER SEEKING AUTHORS. Nope. Okay I shall not be out googled...next was CHILDREN'S PUBLISHER SEEKING MANUSCRIPTS' getting somewhere oh yessss! And then decided to be very intelligent :) and tried 'CHILDREN PUBLISHER SEEKING UNSOLICITED   MANUSCRIPTS' Because did you know that if a publisher did not inform you to write a certain book it is called 'unsolicited' and therefore you are a renegade writer sort of....Wow! Gots to get to that point where they are asking for me to write a book, definitely could do thaaaat! :D And in all this googl-ing I am learnig bit by bit more keywords to use from the world of publishing! Okay so then what happens is I found out that Publishers do not like to take manuscripts from authors but work through an agent. Right, google-ing AGENTS SEEKING / WANTING AUTHORS And then AGENT SEEKING / WANTING UNSOLICITED CHILDREN'S MANUSCRIPTS. And then I found out that agents are not so interested in first time publishers unless you have already at least published one other manuscript and it can't be self published either. So....here sits I with this dilemma...and  an idea pops back in my head. So I google AUTHOR SEEKING PUBLISHER.....!

By the way after several google hunts I managed to find some publishers that will accept  an 'UNSOLICITED MANUSCRIPT' and am so eager to get to mailing...post office here I come! Btw LOTSA articles about how to use search engines, in my case google, for publishers..! :p

No comments: